Making the transition from independent living to an assisted living program can be overwhelming. Sorting through decades of belongings and saying goodbye to a family home marks the end of an era but opens the door to the next chapter. Today’s assisted living communities have evolved to cater to a more active cohort of seniors.
Westminster Place is a faith-based senior living community offering a continuum of care that allows residents to remain in the same community, even as their needs change. Our fully licensed 24-hour senior assisted living program is designed for those who require assistance with daily activities but want to maintain the dignity, privacy, and freedom they know. Whether you or your loved one are ready for an assisted living program or are planning for the future, reach out to us at 903.329.6520 to learn more about assisted living at Westminster Place.
Recognizing the Need for an Assisted Living Facility
Few seniors want to leave their homes for assisted living communities. It is emotionally and mentally challenging to accept no longer being able to manage independent living. Family members often feel guilty about not being able to care for a parent or older relative. The main challenge is knowing when the time is right.
Signs that you or a loved one can benefit from an assisted living program include:
- Problems completing activities of daily living (ADLs)
- Poor eating and hygiene skills
- Recent falls or worsening mobility issues
- Changes in mood, including being angry or unhappy
- Isolation or lack of access to social support or regular visitors
- Chronic or deteriorating health issues
- Memory issues that impact safety, such as leaving the stove on
Many seniors choose assisted living because they want an independent lifestyle without the headaches of home maintenance. The inability to drive, getting disoriented or lost outside of the home, and not properly caring for pets strong indicators that it’s time to move to assisted living. Many families wait too long before talking about assisted living. Starting the conversation sooner rather than later can help everyone be better prepared.
Activities for Assisted Living
Americans are leading longer and healthier lives. Today’s seniors demand more from assisted living programs than movies and bingo. They want adventure, stimulation, and the opportunity to learn something new.
Activities for assisted living fall into three broad categories:
- Physical activities – Physically active seniors are healthier for longer. Opportunities for physical activity include swimming, walking, tennis, bicycling, dance classes, yoga, pilates, hiking, and various exercise classes.
- Memory and mental activities – Keeping your mind sharp is as important as being physically active. Examples of mental activities include arts & crafts, games, trivia, music, educational classes, and book clubs.
- Recreation and leisure activities – The retirement years are a time to relax and enjoy yourself and do what you want. Recreation and leisure activities can include gardening, cooking classes, group outings, day trips, and volunteering.
At Westminster Place, the range of activities available is limitless. Out life enrichment coordinator strives to create a calendar that includes activities for all residents. There are opportunities to participate in committees, support groups, civic organizations, and religious groups.
What to Expect from Assisted Living at Westminster Place
Assisted living at Westminster Place provides individualized care designed to meet each resident’s unique needs in a comfortable, home-like environment with access to state-of-the-art services and amenities, including:
- Medication monitoring and management
- Housekeeping and laundry services
- Certified nursing care
- Private studio, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom apartments
- Beauty salon and barbershop
- Individually controlled heating and airconditioning
- Apartment maintenance and repairs
Residents have access to restaurant-quality dining, a library, spa, nutritional counseling, and a fully-equipped fitness center in a faith-based community of peers. Residents and their families appreciate our beautiful accommodations and level of care. Our staff includes health and fitness professionals, a life enrichment coordinator, and a chaplain.
Discover the Benefits of Assisted Living at Westminster Place
Westminster Place is the premier choice for senior living in Longview, Texas. Our assisted living programs are designed to provide seniors with daily assistance while maintaining their dignity, privacy, and freedom. Our goal is to provide each of our residents with the best possible care and quality of life. Call our team today at 903.329.6520 to schedule a visit to discover the benefits of assisted living.