As fall approaches, the days get shorter, and the weather gets cooler, you may be looking for things to do with the seniors in your life. There are plenty of fun fall activities to take part in from fall holiday-themed projects to getting outside in nature. At a senior living community like Westminster Place, seasonal activities are available for all residents to take part in. Staying active supports a healthy lifestyle and a full and robust retirement to enjoy for your golden years. If you have questions on the senior living options available through senior living communities like Westminster Place, give us a call today at 903.329.6520.
Fall Activities for Seniors
- Art and crafts – this can include making a festive wreath for your front door or making a fun craft project with grandchildren.
- Fall foliage tours – get out in nature and enjoy all that fall has to offer. Have a family member take you for a drive, get some fresh air, and enjoy the colors.
- Apple picking – Besides the fun of being out in a beautiful orchard, think of all the delicious things you can make with the apples, like a home-baked pie.
- Oktoberfest – whether you are of German heritage or not, everyone can enjoy these fun fall events centered around music, food, and fun. Check your local community calendars for local events, or help organize one of your own in your senior living community.
- Fall festivals – seek out craft fairs, car shows, and more. Fall can be the time of year when many state fairs and musical events come to town.
- Halloween – you’re never too old to get in on the fun and dress up. Hand out candy to the kids or help your grandkids with their costumes.
- Thanksgiving – help prepare family recipes with loved ones and pass down time-honored traditions.
- Baking – as the weather gets cooler there is nothing like the smell and taste of freshly baked items in the oven. This is a fun activity to do with kids to teach them baking basics.
Senior Fall Fun for All
Studies show that seniors who participate in regular physical and mental activities stay healthier for longer. Seniors can engage their minds and bodies in many fun fall activities that also have health and wellness benefits.
- Simply getting outside and going for a walk in nature is one of the best activities you can do, all year round. In addition to providing healthy exercise and getting your heart rate up, you can enjoy the beauty of the fall colors and even collect leaves for craft projects.
- Consider games or puzzles, as well as making fall decorations. How about helping with Halloween costumes? These activities are great for working on hand-eye coordination and creating general happiness.
- Cooking and baking when the weather gets cooler can be very comforting. Remembering and following recipes keeps the mind sharp and working on recipes together with family is a fun activity with a delicious reward at the end of it.
Senior Living at Westminster Place
At Westminster Place, we offer state-of-the-art wellness programs so that residents can stay busy and active with an assortment of activities. Health and wellness activities allow residents to stay active and healthy, and social activities allow residents to stay engaged with peers and family. Dining services are also an important part of senior living, whether it’s having your own kitchen as part of independent living or enjoying a meal prepared by your culinary director and his team as part of all of our senior living lifestyles.