The health and wellness of residents are a priority for senior living communities. It is because they understand that having activities that you can take part in to improve your overall well-being is important at every age. If you think you are “too old” to exercise, think again. There are plenty of exercises and activities that are safe and effective for seniors – plus, they can be fun. At Westminster Place, we offer a full range of activities to keep residents moving and active so that they can live long, full, healthy lives in our communities.
The Importance of Exercise for Seniors
Retirement is meant to be fun. In fact, studies show that enjoying life to the fullest in your senior years not only makes you happy but also keeps you healthy. When it comes to finding “fun” ways to exercise and stay fit, you might find it challenging – but it doesn’t have to be. By keeping it simple, doing things you already enjoy, and taking advantage of the programs and opportunities in your senior living community, you can continue to improve and preserve your overall health.
At Westminster Place, we are proud to offer programs and activities specifically designed to get seniors up and moving on a regular basis. No matter what kinds of exercise and activities you like to do, we have something for you.
Exercises For Seniors
You don’t need a whole gym or a dedicated personal trainer to get your heart rate up and stay active. Many exercises only require a pair of hand weights, and others require no equipment at all. Some of the best exercises for seniors include:
- Active cardio: this can be as simple as a brisk walk, a jog around the community, or even a little dancing. If your community offers exercise classes, try them out. Exercising among friends can be a motivator.
- Using the pool: take part in swimming or water aerobics. If your community doesn’t have a pool, check out your local Y or community center.
- Stretching: through practices like yoga, pilates, or tai chi.
- Animal-assisted therapy: take a dog for a walk or throw a ball or frisbee.
- Chair Squats: make the motion of sitting back into and getting up from a chair.
- Hand weights: try dumbbell rows, overhead presses, or bicep curls to keep your muscles toned.
- Tennis or pickleball: racquet sports are all the rage these days, so why not get in on the fun and stay active on top of having fun?
- Bocce, shuffleboard, or bowling: low-key ball games perfectly combine low cardio activity and sharpening your mind and strategy skills.
- Tricep reps: use a resistance band or your trusty hand weights. Push the band or weight back behind you in a controlled fashion.
- Working on your core: yes, we mean sit-ups. Nothing crazy, but make an effort to keep your core strong through abdominal exercises that will save you from back trouble and other weak spots in the body.
Senior Living at Westminster Place
If you are considering a senior living community but are unsure what choice is best for you, then it’s time to call on the team at Westminster Place. Our knowledgeable and experienced team members can help guide you in making the best choice for you.
The different levels of senior living at Westminster Place include:
- Independent living
- Assisted living
- Memory care
- Respite care
- Long-term care and skilled nursing
At Westminster Place, there are plenty of choices when it comes to senior living. Each lifestyle option offers a wide range of health and wellness activities so residents can live their best lives. Find out more about all that we offer by contacting our caring, compassionate, and professional team today at 903.329.6520.