One of the most beneficial services for seniors and their caregivers is respite care for elderly adults. It can provide caretakers with a temporary break while professionals step in to care for older adults who need it.
While many people can benefit from respite care, there is a concern about how much these services cost. To find out how much respite care costs, contact Buckner Westminster Place at 903.329.6520.
What Is Respite Care for Elderly People?
Respite care is a specific type of nursing and home care that aims to relieve family caretakers from their duties for a temporary period of time.
Respite care may be necessary if the regular caregiver falls ill, has surgery, or needs to travel out of town. During this period of time, a professional caregiver will come in to provide the services and actions the usual caretaker performs.
Respite care is a popular service for senior adults and their caregivers because there is a wide selection of options.
You can get respite care for just one day if that is all you require. This is a great option for caregivers who simply want to take a day for themselves. You can also get respite care for several weeks, which is a good option for caregivers who are ill or recovering from an injury or surgical procedure.
Average Cost of Respite Care
While many caregivers require respite care at some point, they are often worried about the cost. Respite care for elderly individuals can be costly, depending on who you seek these services from. The exact price of respite care varies among providers, and there are certain factors that will impact the overall cost. These factors include the following:
- Where you are located
- Any insurance or veterans’ benefits
- The level of respite care needed
- The duration of time respite care is needed
- Your loved one’s specific needs
There are three main types of respite care, which will determine the average cost. Other factors, such as the ones just mentioned, can cause the average cost of respite care to vary. Below are the average prices for each category of respite care:
- Community-Based – These are short-term services that are typically available on demand. The price can range from $25 to $150 per day, with a national average of $80. The average cost per week for this type of respite care would be about $560.
- In-Home – The price of in-home respite care will vary greatly depending on your loved one’s needs and the duration of time care is required. Hourly costs can range from $15 to $40 for periodic care. The cost for round-the-clock, live-in care can range from $120 to $200 per day. The national average for in-home respite care is about $26 per hour. This would put the average cost of respite care per week at $182.
- Facility-Based – Respite care is available in nursing homes, senior living communities, and assisted living facilities on an hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly basis. The national average cost is $152 per day. This means the average cost of respite care per week would fall around $1,064.
Get Refreshed with Respite Care from Buckner Westminster Place
Are you a family caregiver in need of respite care for your loved one? Respite care can provide you with relief from your caretaker responsibilities for a specific time, helping alleviate stress and allowing you to return refreshed.
Respite care is a valuable service that allows family members to maintain their role as a caregiver while receiving a temporary break to recover from an illness or surgery, travel out of town, or simply take time for themselves. Contact Buckner Westminster Place at 903.329.6520 to learn more about various types of respite care.