Approximately ten percent of Americans aged 65 and older have dementia. Memory loss and cognitive decline can be scary for seniors and their families. A memory care program provides specialized care and support for seniors with dementia, but not all are the same. Finding the program that best fits your or your loved one’s needs requires knowing what level of care is needed and thoroughly researching your options. The best memory care programs have 24-hour care, licensed skilled nurses, and a variety of activities and services in a safe, secure, and welcoming environment.
At Westminster Place in Longview, TX, our comprehensive memory care program balances independence and assisted care to allow residents and their families to know they are safe. Our memory care program, The Harbor, offers a comfortable, home-like environment where residents live in private suites with access to a host of services and amenities. Contact our team at 903.329.6520 to learn more about the benefits of our memory care program.
What is a Memory Care Facility?
Memory care facilities are residential programs that provide 24-hour care for seniors with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia. They can be stand-alone facilities or part of a larger senior living community that offers additional levels of care. Staff in a memory care facility have specialized training to manage the unique challenges of dementia.
In memory care, therapies and activities are specially designed to be memory-enhancing and stimulate cognition to help residents maintain their highest level of functioning for as long as possible. A reputable memory care facility will also have:
- Prescribers who can offer medication management
- Low staff to resident ratios
- Coordination with primary care and specialty physicians
- Assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs)
- Mobility assistance and transportation
- Laundry and housekeeping services
- Individualized, healthy meal plans
Better memory care facilities will also have security measures that deter wandering, person-centered care, and an easy floorplan for residents to navigate.
Signs Your Loved One Needs Memory Care
Recognizing the need for memory care can be challenging, especially in the early stages of dementia, when people tend to hide or cover up their symptoms. Forgetfulness becomes more common as we age, but significant and ongoing memory struggles can indicate something more.
The following signs are outside of the range of normal age-related forgetfulness:
- Forgetting how to do things that have been done many times before
- Difficulty communicating or finding words
- Repeating information or stories in the same conversation
- Difficulty reasoning or problem-solving
- Confusion or disorientation
- Getting lost in familiar places
- Losing track of events that occur throughout the day
- Difficulty planning or organizing tasks
Other signs to look for include changes in behavior or demeanor, a decline in personal hygiene, significant weight loss, forgetting to take medication, and neglecting a pet’s needs.
What to Expect from Memory Care at Westminster Place
At Westminster Place, our goal is to ensure the best quality of life, regardless of cognitive ability. At The Harbor, our memory care program, residents live in private suites in a welcoming, home-like environment. They have access to and are encouraged to use our secure community garden, courtyard, activity, and dining spaces.
The Harbor offers amenities and services, including:
- Individually-controlled heating and airconditioning
- Community dining and living spaces
- Three chef-prepared meals daily
- Cable television
- Daily housekeeping and weekly laundry services
- Apartment maintenance and repairs
- In-house beauty salon and barbershop
- Outdoor garden and walking paths
Our on-staff social worker and chaplain are available to provide assistance, guidance, and spiritual and emotional support. We have a 24-hour emergency response system to safely and effectively manage emergencies if they arise. Residents have access to transportation services, memory=enhancement programs, and a range of activities and social events.
Contact Westminster Place to Learn More About Our Memory Care Program, The Harbor
Watching a loved one experience dementia is heartbreaking. At Westminster Place, we understand the need for families to know that their loved one is safe, receiving the highest-quality care, and engaged in their community. Finding a memory care facility that meets all of your loved one’s needs does not have to be complicated. Call 903.329.6520 to schedule a tour to see for yourself why Westminster Place is the premier choice for seniors living in Longview, Texas.