People of all ages are happier, healthier, and more fulfilled when physically, mentally, and socially active. Physical activity and social interactions become vital to leading a healthy life at a certain age. The harsh reality is that inactivity in seniors can contribute to cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis, depression, hypertension, and premature death. Isolation and loneliness are also detrimental to the overall well-being of older adults. Group outings provide the benefits of physical activity, mental stimulation, and social interaction critical to optimal health in older adults.
At Westminster Place in Longview, TX, we understand the importance of group outings for seniors. Our senior community is vibrant and active, providing a wide range of activities to encompass the interests of all residents. Through our group outings, residents connect with their neighbors and the broader community while exploring new places and having new experiences. Call us at 855.952.5640 to discover the benefits of senior living at Westminster Place.
The Importance of Group Activities for Elderly People
- Group activities for elderly people are essential to maintaining an overall high quality of life. The benefits of social activities for seniors, such as group outings, include:
- Maintaining emotional well-being–Emotional engagement is vital to living a long, thriving life, helps prevent physical ailments, and expands the mind.
- Purposeful living–Friends and social connections made through group outings are a reminder that your presence matters to others and help keep you engaged.
- Opportunity to try new things–Learning new activities, building new skills, and participating in activities that require focused attention help keep mental acuity sharp and well-functioning.
- Delaying the onset of dementia–Meaningful friendships, daily intellectual activity, and social activity are known to slow down or help prevent the onset of Alzheimer’s and dementia.
- Improved physical fitness–Socially active seniors are more likely to be physically active seniors, and physically active seniors enjoy a better quality of life.
Increasing self-confidence–Change is inevitable and for some seniors, moving to a senior community is daunting. Social activities like group outings boost self-confidence through successfully trying something new and embracing change.
Our elderly population has a tremendous amount of value to share with their communities through the skills, talents, and knowledge they’ve gained throughout life. Group outings provide an opportunity for sharing all that one has learned and learning new things from others.
Activities for the Elderly During Covid
The COVID-19 epidemic has changed the world as we know it. Its impact upon seniors, particularly those who live alone, has been devastating. At Westminster Place, we are highly knowledgeable about the risks of COVID-19 for seniors and take every precaution to ensure the safety of our residents and staff.
Understanding the importance of social interaction and the consequences of social isolation for seniors, we are diligent about providing a safe environment by asking residents and staff to adhere to the best practices regardless of vaccination status. These practices include:
- Wearing masks in indoor common areas, which has been shown to help reduce the spread of germs and viruses
- Wearing masks in enclosed spaces, mainly the busses
- Practicing social distancing when possible while participating in activities in common areas
- Practicing social distancing in the dining rooms
- Promoting handwashing and the use of hand sanitizer
- Staying in your apartment or room if experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or being exposed to someone with COVID-19.
- Limiting guests
Transparency and communication are our greatest weapons against the spread of COVID-19. While the number of group outings has been impacted, we offer safe, engaging on-site activities available to all residents.
Discover the Best Activities for Seniors at Westminster Place
The best activities for seniors include the opportunity for social, physical, and mental stimulation. The possibilities for growth at Westminster Place are limited only by your imagination. At
Buckner Retirement Services, we believe that anything is possible. Join the Westminster Place community for faith-based, inspired living. Call 855.952.5640 to learn more about our programs, including group outings for seniors.